DNA Sample Collection
For professional DNA tests, we need to ensure that samples are collected from the client by an independent third party. The sampler cannot be related to the client and must have no emotional or financial interest in the outcome of the test.
The DNA samples must be sent directly back to us by the sampler in the tamper proof pre-paid envelope that we provide. At no point may the donor come into contact with the samples and we will ask the sampler to ensure that the envelope cannot be interfered with before posting.
- Complement Genomics staff will take the samples or
- We will arrange for the DNA test to be conducted by one of our registered samplers or
- We will identify the client’s GP and arrange for the DNA sample to be collected there.
- We regularly arrange for collections from HM Prisons.
- If your client is not resident in the UK, then for a paternity test we will work with you to identify (and if possible train and register) a suitable overseas sampler such as a reputable local doctor, nurse or other agency.
- If your client has been ordered to undertake a DNA/parentage test by the Home Office and has received a letter from the Home Office,/British High Commission/British Embassy, then in the same letter, they will have been told where they should go to have their samples collected for this test. This will usually be HMPO London or the British High Commission/British Embassy abroad. We routinely send sampling kits to BHCs all over the world and have good links with the team at HMPO London.
- Additional samplers fees may apply.
Information required for DNA testing
- We will require a fully completed order form (a contract in place) before we begin organisation of sample collection.
- All parties must have agreed to the DNA test beforehand and the sampler must either take the sample or witness it being taken.
- We require the full name, address and date of birth of the person(s) to be sampled, plus evidence of identity and the name, affiliation and address of the sampler (if not provided by us).
Identity checks that will be carried out
- The sampler will carry out identity checks according to our procedures. If these are deemed by us to be inadequate, we reserve the right to ask for further information and/or refuse to process the samples. This is because we must be sure that the person who is being sampled has given his/her consent or has PR for the child and has the capacity to give consent.
- If a child under 16 is involved, we would like copies of any birth certificate(s) and any other evidence of Parental Responsibility, such as the Interim Care Order from the Local Authority.
- For cases (where our staff are not present), then your client will be required to produce two recent passport size photographs of each person to be tested. The designated sampler will check these against the person to be sampled and certify that they are a true likeness of that person, by signing, dating and stating that this was the person sampled on that occasion.
Where samples are being collected by our own staff, we shall photograph the person sampled on the day of sampling.
The sampler will be expected to give an undertaking that the identity check has been carried out to an acceptable standard.
For immigration purposes, your client will also be required to produce such Government issued documentation as may be available, ideally a Passport or a UK Borders Agency Travel Document(s).
Any other photo identification, such as a driving licence or a National Identity Card, will also be appreciated, as would evidence of the home address of the client (for example, a utility bill or a bank statement). If the DNA sample is to be taken overseas, then the designated Embassy will be expected to carry out the identity checks
We will require copies of the provided documents, which the designated sampler must be able to check against the original.
As the DNA test is being carried out in the UK under UK law, we require your client to agree to the consent requirements of the Human Tissue Act 2004 and as such, we will provide consent forms, which must be accepted and signed before we process the samples.
Have a question?Send us a message.
Our award winning customer service team will be pleased to help you.